Founded in 1995 the Mount Pearl Sports Hall of Fame honours athletes and volunteers who have made outstanding contributions to sport in Mount Pearl. A Team Honour Roll has also been established to recognize those sport teams that have brought great honour to Mount Pearl.
The Sports Hall of Fame and History Exhibit is located in the lobby of Summit Centre. Drop in and have a look. Comments are encouraged.
Scroll down for eligibility criteria for Hall of Fame and Team Honour Roll.
Deadline for nominations is March 5.
Hall of Fame Inductees/Members
Download Adobe here to view the Hall of Fame Member profiles. Click on names for a bio of each inductee.
Team Honour Roll
Download Adobe here to view Team Honour Roll profiles. Click on team name for story.
1947 Mount Pearl Tennis Team
1973 Mount Pearl Men’s Softball All-Stars
1975 Mount Pearl Legion Senior Men’s Basketball Team
1996 Pearlgate Bantam Boys Youth Bowling Team
1986 Mount Pearl Junior Blades Hockey Team
1990 Mount Pearl Girls U16 Soccer All-Star Team
1992-1995 Mount Pearl Sr. High Boys Basketball
1976 Mount Pearl Dairy Queen Junior Baseball Team
1989-90 Pee Wee Major Blades Hockey Team
Sports Hall of Fame
Individuals may be nominated in one of three categories:
1. Athlete - Those who have achieved excellence as athletes during their competitive days;
2. Athlete/Builder - Those who have achieved excellence, both as athletes and builders of sport in Mount Pearl; and
3. Builder - Those recognized as outstanding builders of local sport clubs and associations.
There shall be three individual categories: athlete; builder; athlete builder
There is also a team category – Team Honour Roll
Candidate must be at least thirty-five years of age.
Candidate must have had significant achievement as an ‘athlete’ in a Mount Pearl sport (or in a sport with no team in Mount Pearl), or made a significant contribution as a ‘builder’ of sport in Mount Pearl. This achievement or contribution shall be for a period of at least five years. Also, a candidate must have lived in Mount Pearl for at least five years, or participated in a sport in Mount Pearl for at least five years. (Candidates are required to meet all the conditions of this section, #04)
Candidate must have amateur status at the time of selection, and/or be retired from highest level of competition – for at least three years.
Guide for Nominators - Please click here for a more complete guide for preparing your nomination. https://forms.gle/v3cCyHpywRRSZvQZ7
Team Honour Roll
1. The team must be comprised of at least two members
2. The team must have had an association with Mount Pearl
3. The team must have achieved significant accomplishments in their sport
4. The team must have won at least one Provincial Championship at the highest level at which the team is eligible to play.
5. The team must be “retired” from their sport a minimum of three years, unless there is an extraordinary reason for their inclusion.
Questions: Please contact the Sports Hall of Fame Selection Committee Chair, Harold Stapleton, with any inquiries: email@example.com or the Mount Pearl Sport Alliance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sports Hall of Fame Selection Committee...
Harold Stapleton (Chair)
Pat O'Keefe Sr.